We gather here to remember all who lost their lives through involvement in wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations. We especially remember
the courageous actions undertaken by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during the First World War. Their sacrifice testifies to the love God calls us to share among each other.
We read in Sacred Scripture:
If you keep my commands,
you will remain in my love. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15
On this national day of commemoration,
we pray for those brave men and women who died in battle, sacrificing their lives while on duty. And we pray for the families who lost loved ones.
Celebrant: In this time of reflection, we call on our God who is full of love and compassion.
We remember and pray for all airmen, sailors and soldiers who served and bravely lost their lives in battle during times of conflict, especially members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. May they rest in the peace of Christ, and
rise in glory on the last day. (Let us pray to the Lord).
2. We remember all families, parents and children who lost loved ones through war. May the light of God's hope and strength comfort them. (Let us pray to the Lord).
3. We remember and pray for those who are scared mentally from the trauma of war. (Let us pray to the Lord).
4. We pray for those who are on active service now, risking their lives on our behalf. Protect them Lord. (Let
us pray to the Lord).
5. We pray for all engaged in diplomacy around the world. May they always work towards achieving peace through respectful negotiations and a dialogue of mutual understanding. (Let us pray to the Lord).
pray for all political leaders. May the Holy Spirit help them to make wise decisions and to build relationships that lead to peace. (Let us pray to the Lord).
7. We pray for all engaged in commemorative services and ceremonies today. May their
prayers and witness provide comfort and inspiration to all who grieve those who died in war. (Let us pray to the Lord).
Celebrant: God of mercy, send forth your Spirit of peace to our world as we ask you to grant our prayers for those who have
fallen in war. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.